Thursday, July 14, 2016

Contemplations of Belief

Today's class was transformative.  I have engaged in a lot of professional development over the last 4 years in my district and I have even offered some, but this week has truly transformed my learning/teaching/wondering.

I used to think that getting PD every 3 years to get my recertification was a big pain in the neck, but recently I have come to embrace it.  I have lots of friends whose careers and livelihood do NOT depend on them getting a certificate every 3 years to prove to their superiors that they are qualified for their jobs.  In some cases, I wonder why not?  Seriously!!

I have been made fun of by the very friends that I thought respected what I did numerous times.  I have been told that I have less of a job because I "have summers off", vacations throughout the year, and only work part of the day.

I wish these friends could spend time with me all year long and throughout the summer to see what I really do.

I am sure you have seen or heard this video before, but I just love it and want to say to all my peeps, this is really how it is.  YOU try it!  I am sure they wouldn't, ever!

What do teachers make?





So as we wind up this week, my LitEdwTech friends, go into your year with a new growth mindset, many new tech ideas to incorporate into your classes with reading and writing, a new sense of teaching, and a new tribe!

I believe it will be the best year yet!

Susan

4 comments:

  1. Susan we teach because it is a vocation, a calling to service. But the constant negative comments from the outside make me weary, too. I am thrilled to hav some new ideas to implement in the fall to find new ways to stay engaged with kids. They are so important, and they deserve the best I can give. So Glad we invested time to begin learning these new technologies! Note- the title of my blog alludes to Mali! He has had a great influence on my poetry writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Taylor Mali! Thanks for a great week, Susan. Many good discussions and ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan, thank you for sharing that video! I'm surprised I have not seen that before, but I know I will be sharing it with others.
    I'm looking forward to keeping in touch through Twitter to share how we have added all of the awesome tools we've explored this week into our schools. I would also love to participate in a PD book group to read Georgia Heard's book. That is such a great idea! Happy to be a part of our UNHLit tribe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have seen this video before and love it! I think EVERYONE should have to watch it because it really speaks the truth. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete